My Aunt Judy use to make a salad similar to this, for every family get together. As we get older, it is important to have memories that remind us of happy times. Mine always seems to revolve around food. Imagine that. I adapted this recipe to include all the good stuff she had in her salad. Always my favorite and hope you enjoy!
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- ½ cup chopped green peppers
- ½ cup chopped green onion (tops only)
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 ounce (1/2 cup) grated cheese
In a 9 x 13-inch pan (or a deep glass bowl), layer ingredients as listed through green onions. Mix sugar with mayonnaise – pour over layers. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bacon. Refrigerate overnight.
Note: I usually make a little more of the dressing and put a layer in the middle. Looks better and taste better to me! Leave out the boiled eggs if you need to.